Police say no crime committed following complaint received after spat at general election hustings
PUBLISHED: 16:23 07 June 2017 | UPDATED: 09:36 08 June 2017
A police investigation into a complaint after a spat that broke out at an election hustings in St Ives – just days before voters were due to go to the polls – has found that no crime was committed.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police confirmed that a complaint was made to the force following the hustings but that a review had determined that no crime had been committed and the complaint had been passed back to Huntingdonshire District Council.
The complaint followed hustings at St Ives Methodist Church on Friday, in which a row erupted between Conservative candidate Jonathan Djanogly, and mum-of-two Emma Bail.
Mrs Bail, from Eynesbury, accused the candidate of ignoring her correspondence since a meeting between them in September, last year, to discuss the new Educational Health Care Plan [ECHP] brought in by Cambridgeshire County Council, which restricts the amount of one-on-one support for children with disabilities in education.
She insisted Mr Djanogly had “ignored” every request that she had made including messages on Facebook and e-mails.
However, the claim was denied by Mr Djanogly who accused her of “Labour Party activism” and insisted he had contacted her.
Mrs Bail, whose three-year-old daughter has Down’s syndrome, told The Hunts Post: “I didn’t go there to try and embarrass him in public but I felt I had no other options. How else was I going to get a chance to get a response from him?
“This [ECHP] needs to be looked at and discussed, I was just gobsmacked at his response, I didn’t know where that came from to turn round and belittle me and discredit me.”
The 41-year-old admits she has delivered leaflets for the Labour Party during this election campaign and did not disagree that it could be considered an activist activity.
Following the hustings, Mrs Bail took to Facebook and the row continued, with others adding to the quarrel.
In a statement to The Hunts Post, Mr Djanogly said: “Mrs Bail contacted my office to raise her concerns about the provision of child care for her daughter. I raised her case firstly with the county council and then personally with the Minister at the Department for Education. I supplied Mrs Bail with copies of both responses and sought her views on them before inviting her to meet with me to discuss her concerns further. At that face-to-face meeting I offered to arrange a further meeting in Westminster for Mrs Bail to present her concerns directly to the minister.
“Therefore, to say that she disagrees with current rules on childcare provision is her right, but to claim that I have ignored her case is simply wrong.
“If Mrs Bail agrees I am happy to share with The Hunts Post copies of the correspondence that I sent on her behalf to Cambridgeshire County Council and the Department for Education, the responses I received and the correspondence that I sent to Mrs Bail when forwarding these responses and inviting her further thoughts.”