Police issue warning on burglaries to Huntingdonshire householders as nights draw in

PUBLISHED: 15:58 27 October 2017

Archant

Burglars have been targeting homes across the Huntingdonshire where the owners have been away.

Police have also warned of a series of “walk in” burglaries in the Huntingdon where offenders have struck at insecure properties and have urged householders to take extra precautions, especially with the clocks going back.

Detective Inspector Andy Tolley said: “Burglary is a priority for us and we’re working hard to catch offenders and bring them before courts.

“However, with the clocks going back this Sunday, (October 29), offences can start to increase.”

Det Insp Tolley said: “It is usually an opportunist offence so there are steps people can take to remove the temptation for burglars.

“Keeping possessions out of sight and making it seem like some’s at home are to good starting points.”

Police said that they had recently received reports of burglaries across the district where in some of the cases the owners had been away.

Clare Darbyshire, crime reduction officer at Huntingdon, urged householders to get a family member of friend to do a regular check of the property, put lights on a timer and park a neighbour’s car on the drive to make it look as if the property was occupied.

External lights should also be fitted.

She said there had also been reports of walk-in offences at houses in Huntingdon and urged residents to make sure doors were locked at all times and the key removed.

Police said burglaries were set to increase with the nights drawing in and figures showed that in Cambridgeshire from November last year to this April 1,238 homes were burgled, a 17.8 per cent increase over the 1,051 burgled in the previous six months.

They said further precautions could include closing curtains at night, locking doors, windows and gates - even when at home - and not to leave spare keys outside.

Police also said car keys should not be left near the door and to mark property.

More news stories

15:42

Drivers could start using a new stretch of road being built as part of the £1.5billion A14 upgrade as early as next April.

The war memorial in Warboys is among hundreds to have been granted listed status by Historic England as part of its pledge to protect 2,500 memorials by 2018, marking the centenary of the First World War.

A man has died following an incident on the westbound carriageway of the A14 last night (Thursday).

It’s time to get the festive jumpers and woolly gloves out and head to the North Pole Festival in Cambridge and The Hunts Post has teamed up with the organisers to give away six family tickets.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter