Man rescued from Somersham flat after unattended cooking causes blaze

11:24 24 February 2014

A man was rescued after a flat fire in Somersham.

A man was rescued after a flat fire in Somersham.

Archant

A man was rescued from a flat when a fire broke out after cooking was left unattended on Friday night.

One fire engine from Huntingdon and one from Chatteris rushed to Carpenters Court in Somersham at 11.57pm.

The crews battered down the door to get in as smoke billowed from the building.

An ambulance was called to the scene at 12.19am. The man was checked over by paramedics, but did not need hospital treatment.

Watch commander Eddie Theaker said: “The occupant had fallen asleep in the lounge after putting some food on to cook and luckily a neighbour heard his smoke alarm sounding and, unable to get an answer from the flat, called the fire service.

“Luckily, the resident was checked by paramedics and was fine but this incident highlights the importance of having a working smoke alarm in your property.

“Residents should always remember the dangers of leaving cooking unattended, which can quickly catch fire, and we would stress to people that cooking while intoxicated is not advised as you can easily get distracted, fall asleep or lose concentration.”

Crews returned to base by 1.04am.

0 comments

More news stories

The Hunts Post Hustings, at Huntingdon Regional College, Green Party Tom Maclellan,

Next month’s General Election could be the most tightly fought in decades and last Thursday (April 16) night an audience of voters at Huntingdonshire Regional College were given the opportunity to find out what the prospective parliamentary candidates for the Huntingdon seat will be offering should they be selected.

Annabelle, centre, who is doing the bean bath stunt, pictured with SIYT members (from left) Paul, Sam, Chloe and Holly.

A St Ivo pupil plans to sit in a bath of beans in St Ives town centre to raise money for a theatre group’s performance in Edinburgh.

Police are investigating after a 16-year-old boy was left with serious injuries.

A teenager suffered serious neck injuries after rope tied between trees in St Neots caused him to come off his motorbike.

Fri, 17:32
Ben who was believed to have been targeted with boiling water.

A cat owner has spoken of his shock after his pet returned home with severe burns thought to have been caused by having boiling water thrown over him.

”Calendar"/

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition today E-edition