Man rescued from Somersham flat after unattended cooking causes blaze

A man was rescued after a flat fire in Somersham. A man was rescued after a flat fire in Somersham.

Monday, February 24, 2014
11:24 AM

A man was rescued from a flat when a fire broke out after cooking was left unattended on Friday night.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

One fire engine from Huntingdon and one from Chatteris rushed to Carpenters Court in Somersham at 11.57pm.

The crews battered down the door to get in as smoke billowed from the building.

An ambulance was called to the scene at 12.19am. The man was checked over by paramedics, but did not need hospital treatment.

Watch commander Eddie Theaker said: “The occupant had fallen asleep in the lounge after putting some food on to cook and luckily a neighbour heard his smoke alarm sounding and, unable to get an answer from the flat, called the fire service.

“Luckily, the resident was checked by paramedics and was fine but this incident highlights the importance of having a working smoke alarm in your property.

“Residents should always remember the dangers of leaving cooking unattended, which can quickly catch fire, and we would stress to people that cooking while intoxicated is not advised as you can easily get distracted, fall asleep or lose concentration.”

Crews returned to base by 1.04am.

0 comments

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Homes24
Jobs24
Drive24
MyDate24
MyPhotos24
FamilyNotices24
Weddingsite

Click here to read more of our digital publications
Wedding Show Paper delivery enquiries Reader Holidays Retailers List

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT