Fire breaks out at Abbotsley home after problem with tumble dryer

Firefighters were called to the High Street on Friday afternoon. Firefighters were called to the High Street on Friday afternoon.

Monday, July 14, 2014
9:07 AM

Firefighters battled a blaze at a house in Abbotsley.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

One crew from St Neots and one from Gamlingay were called to the High Street at 12.42pm on Friday (July 11), where they found a fire on the ground floor of the property. Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the flames using a hose reel and a jet and cleared the smoke using a fan, before returning to their stations by 1.50pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

Watch commander John-Paul Jones said: “The occupant was in the property when the fire started and was alerted by her smoke alarm to a problem with her tumble dryer. As her property started to fill with smoke she managed to isolate the power and close the door to her utility room, containing the fire, and dial 999. Due to her actions the fire did not spread.

“This incident highlights the need for people to be present when they are using white goods, such as tumble dryers, so they prevent fire spreading if a problem occurs.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hunts Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hunts Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hunts Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Homes24
Jobs24
Drive24
LocalSearch24
MyDate24
MyPhotos24
FamilyNotices24
Weddingsite

Click here to read more of our digital publications
Wedding Show Retailers List Paper delivery enquiries Reader Holidays

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT