Monday, September 10, 2012
FIREFIGHTERS tackled a chimney blaze in a Southoe home on Friday (September 7).
Two crews from St Neots were sent to the house in High Street to a fire in a first floor bedroom at 11.50am. They arrived to find the room heavily smoke logged.
Firefighters used specialist gear to clear the chimney and extinguish the fire.
Jon-Paul Jones, Watch Commander at St Neots said: “Because the chimney had not been swept it was full of debris which had built up over the summer.
“This week is Chimney Fire Safety Week so this is a timely reminder of the importance to have your chimney swept before you start using it again. It only takes a small blockage to cause a potentially devastating fire.”
Crews returned to base by 1.25pm.
FIREFIGHTERS were called to two hedge fires over the weekend.
The first was at Marsh Lane in Hemingford Grey to reports of a hedge row on fire on Saturday at 11.36am. Crews arrived to find a hedge row well alight after a fire starting a garage. The fire was out by 12.14pm.
On Sunday (September 9) one crew from St Neots was called to Cornwall Court, Eaton Socon, at 6.06pm to tackle a shed fire that was affecting an adjacent hedgerow.
They were back on base by 6.50pm.
A COMBINE harvester caught alight in Abbotsley on Saturday (September 6) night.
Firefighters from St Neots and Gamlingay arrived at a field near Drills Lane at 8.47pm. Crews returned to base by 9.53pm.