Kitchen catches fire in Warboys after flammable items left on hob

PUBLISHED: 09:39 27 March 2014 | UPDATED: 09:39 27 March 2014

Firefighters were called to a caravan and house fire in Whaddon last night (Sunday)

Firefighters were called to a caravan and house fire in Whaddon last night (Sunday)

Archant

Firefighters battled a kitchen fire in Warboys yesterday afternoon (Wednesday).

One crew from Huntingdon and one crew from Chatteris were called to Knowles Avenue at 4.10pm. Everyone was safely out of the property by the time they arrived.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish it.

The cause of the fire was accidental, after the occupant left flammable materials on top of a hot hob.

Crews returned to their stations by 4.50pm.

A CFRS spokesman said: “Hobs can stay hot for a considerable length of time after being used so we would urge people to keep flammable items - especially plastic and clothing - away from them.

“Always remember, if you are cooking, to never leave it unattended, and most importantly make sure you have a correctly fitted working smoking alarm on every floor of your home.”

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 14:03

A 12-year-old girl was assaulted as she walked home from school yesterday afternoon (Wednesday).

Yesterday, 12:00

Huntingdonshire District Council spends more than £30,000 a year dealing with stray dogs in its towns and villages, new figures have revealed.

Yesterday, 10:47

A woman has been airlifted to hospital in a life-threatening condition following a collision on the A141 this morning (Thursday).

Yesterday, 10:00

A Huntingdon man who punched two men after they challenged him about his behaviour in a playground has been given a community order.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter