Inquest into death of man who was struck by train is opened

PUBLISHED: 11:55 17 March 2017

Archant

An inquest has been opened into the death of a man who was struck by a train on the East Coast Main Line last month.

Jake Porter, 27, from Bedford, died at the Tempsford level crossing, close to Sandy station, Bedfordshire, on February 28.

Officers from the British Transport Police (BTP), along with paramedics from the East of England Ambulance Service, were called to the crossing at about 5.30pm after reports of the fatality on the tracks.

The incident caused severe delays for passengers with some reporting delays of up to 90 minutes, while other trains from King’s Cross were cancelled.

Following the incident a spokesman for BTP said: “The man’s family have been informed. This incident is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.”

A full inquest into Mr Porter’s death will take place on July 13, 2017.

More news stories

An anaesthetist who wrongly inserted a breathing tube into a patient who died after he suffered irreversible brain damage told an inquest he had made “a crucial error” and was “deeply sorry”.

Two women who died after a car plunged into a water-filled ditch in Ramsey have been identified by police.

10:06

A £100,000 lottery bid is set to be launched by Huntingdon Town Council in a bid to make the historic Town Hall more user-friendly and attractive to visitors.

The crowds turned out in St Neots on Saturday to show their pride and appreciation in the air cadets as they were granted the freedom of the town.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter