Huntingdon Pizza Express fined £8,000 after serving pizza topped with a screw

17:31 20 March 2014

Romana pizza

Romana pizza

Archant

A Huntingdon restaurant has been fined £8,000 after serving a pizza with a screw in it.

Romana pizzaRomana pizza

At Peterborough Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Wednesday), Pizza Express admitted serving a pizza containing a screw to a customer on April 6, last year.

The restaurant also admitted failing to ensure dough trays were kept in good repair as there was evidence of loose and missing screws and brackets.

Magistrates fined Pizza Express £4,000 for each charge as well as a £120 victim surcharge and £2,889.68 costs, leaving it with a total bill of £11,009.68.

A Pizza Express spokesman said: “We have rigorous controls in place and set ourselves very high standards for the safety of our food, which is why this is extremely rare. We have apologised to our guest and taken extra measures to prevent this happening again.”

n Did this happen to you? Contact us on 01480 443451 or email news@huntspost.co.uk.

More news stories

The Hunts Post Hustings, at Huntingdon Regional College, Green Party Tom Maclellan,

Next month’s General Election could be the most tightly fought in decades and last Thursday (April 16) night an audience of voters at Huntingdonshire Regional College were given the opportunity to find out what the prospective parliamentary candidates for the Huntingdon seat will be offering should they be selected.

Yesterday, 13:00
Annabelle, centre, who is doing the bean bath stunt, pictured with SIYT members (from left) Paul, Sam, Chloe and Holly.

A St Ivo pupil plans to sit in a bath of beans in St Ives town centre to raise money for a theatre group’s performance in Edinburgh.

Yesterday, 08:47
Police are investigating after a 16-year-old boy was left with serious injuries.

A teenager suffered serious neck injuries after rope tied between trees in St Neots caused him to come off his motorbike.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Ben who was believed to have been targeted with boiling water.

A cat owner has spoken of his shock after his pet returned home with severe burns thought to have been caused by having boiling water thrown over him.

”Calendar"/

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition today E-edition