Firefighters tackle blaze at Wood Green Animal Shelter

10:39 08 January 2014

Fire engine.

Fire engine.

Archant

A fire broke out in the cellar of Wood Green Animal Shelter in Godmanchester yesterday afternoon.

One crew from Huntingdon and one crew from Papworth were called to the scene at 1.06pm where they found that the basement was filled with smoke.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the building, which had spread into an arena area.

Thermal imaging cameras were then used to check for hotspots.

The cause of the fire was accidental, started by an electrical light fitting.

Crews returned to their stations by 2.50pm.

0 comments

More news stories

Fire crews and medics rescue a motorcyclist from a ditch by the A428 near St Neots. Picture: CAMBS FIRE AND RESCUE

Ladders and a stretcher had to be used to rescue a man who ended up in a roadside ditch after an accident on the A428 near St Neots.

Chrissy Brown, from Eaton Ford, who is a finalist in shed of the year competition

Seasoned traveller Chrissy Brown has created a small piece of heaven in her Eaton Ford back garden.

Laura Humphreys

A Huntingdon woman who struggles with complex mental health issues has published an emotional open letter to her family and friends in the hope that more people will gain an insight and understanding into mental illness.

HPT 21 sophie-2

A 16-year-old from St Neots who suffers from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is appealing to the public to help raise the £9,000 needed for a double hip replacement for her assistance dog Hunter.

”Calendar"/

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition today E-edition