Fire crews battle Ramsey bonfire

10:44 28 May 2014

Firefighters were called to the scene in South Walk.

Firefighters were called to the scene in South Walk.

Archant

Firefighters tackled a bonfire in Ramsey.

One crew from the town was called to South Walk at 10.23pm on Sunday (May 25). A large bonfire involving household waste and plastic recyclables - measuring about 2m by 2m- had been left unattended near to an occupied house.

They used hose reels to extinguish it before returning to their stations by 11.20pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Rather than light a bonfire to dispose of rubbish, CFRS would always recommend residents take it to a household waste and recycling centre.

“If you are going to light a bonfire, always take great care. Be sure to never leave it unsupervised, check the wind direction, build it well away from other structures or flammable materials, and never pour accelerant on it.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hunts Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hunts Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hunts Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 14:00
Cambridgeshire Schools Cross Country Relays, at Priory Junior School,

More than 900 young runners turned out to take part in the Cambridgeshire Primary Schools Cross County Championships held in St Neots.

Yesterday, 10:48
The scene of the fire in Star Lane, Ramsey,

A Ramsey woman died from smoke inhalation after clothes which were drying near an open fire went up in flames, an inquest heard.

Yesterday, 08:03
The Acorn Surgery, Huntingdon,

A patient has raised concerned about getting an appointment after a doctors’ surgery overhauled its system.

Yesterday, 10:00
Tarik Abdel-hady. Picture: fergusburnett.com

A dedicated fundraiser from St Neots is preparing to cycle from London to Brighton to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up