Fire breaks out at Abbotsley home after problem with tumble dryer

09:07 14 July 2014

Firefighters were called to the High Street on Friday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the High Street on Friday afternoon.

Archant

Firefighters battled a blaze at a house in Abbotsley.

One crew from St Neots and one from Gamlingay were called to the High Street at 12.42pm on Friday (July 11), where they found a fire on the ground floor of the property. Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the flames using a hose reel and a jet and cleared the smoke using a fan, before returning to their stations by 1.50pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

Watch commander John-Paul Jones said: “The occupant was in the property when the fire started and was alerted by her smoke alarm to a problem with her tumble dryer. As her property started to fill with smoke she managed to isolate the power and close the door to her utility room, containing the fire, and dial 999. Due to her actions the fire did not spread.

“This incident highlights the need for people to be present when they are using white goods, such as tumble dryers, so they prevent fire spreading if a problem occurs.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hunts Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hunts Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hunts Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Cheetahs at Hamerton Zoo Park

Hamerton Zoo Park has issued a warning to visitors, after a member of the public climbed a barrier to get closer to the cheetah enclosure.

10:30
Medway Centre, in Huntingdon.

After years of negotiations, Huntingdon Town Council has voted to agree a deal between the authority and Huntingdonshire District Council for the exchange of buildings that will allow for redevelopment of key sites.

Dr Nik Johnson has announced he will stand for the role of mayor of the devolved authority for Cambridgeshire.

A doctor from Hinchingbrooke Hospital has announced his candidacy for the newly created position of mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.

Firefighters rescued a dog that was stuck in a rabbit warren in St Neots

Reports of people calling the emergency services to help animals are increasing, according to figures from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Get your skates on this winter and enjoy one of the UK's most stylish open-air ice rinks nestled amongst the trees in Parkers Piece Park in the heart of Cambridge

Set in the heart of vibrant Cambridge, The North Pole Cambridge Ice Rink is back throughout the festive season; come and join us as we open from the 18th November through to 4th January.

Read more

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up