Fire breaks out at Abbotsley home after problem with tumble dryer

PUBLISHED: 09:07 14 July 2014

Firefighters were called to the High Street on Friday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the High Street on Friday afternoon.

Archant

Firefighters battled a blaze at a house in Abbotsley.

One crew from St Neots and one from Gamlingay were called to the High Street at 12.42pm on Friday (July 11), where they found a fire on the ground floor of the property. Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the flames using a hose reel and a jet and cleared the smoke using a fan, before returning to their stations by 1.50pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

Watch commander John-Paul Jones said: “The occupant was in the property when the fire started and was alerted by her smoke alarm to a problem with her tumble dryer. As her property started to fill with smoke she managed to isolate the power and close the door to her utility room, containing the fire, and dial 999. Due to her actions the fire did not spread.

“This incident highlights the need for people to be present when they are using white goods, such as tumble dryers, so they prevent fire spreading if a problem occurs.”

More news stories

Yesterday, 15:45

A talented cook from Great Stukeley who made it all the way to the final of popular television series Masterchef has spoken of her ‘bizarre and inspiring’ experience on the show.

Yesterday, 14:03

Parents and supporters of Sawtry Village Academy gathered to show their support for the launch of a new school campaign.

Yesterday, 11:48

A nursery in Huntingdon has been forced to close by Ofsted while an investigation takes place into an incident.

Yesterday, 10:06

The Queen has approved a new royal title for Papworth Hospital.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter