Family play in garden as fire starts in kitchen but Huntingdonshire home is saved by quick-thinking firefighters

10:02 15 August 2014

Firefighters preparing at incident

Firefighters preparing at incident

Cambs Fire & Rescue Service

A home could have been gutted by flames if it were not for quick-acting firefighters, a station commander said.

Fire crews from St Neots, Huntingdon and Gamlingay were alerted after smoke started bellowing out from a window of a home in High Street, Yelling, at 3.51pm on Wednesday (August 13).

The fire started in a dishwasher in the kitchen and spread to a sky-lit annex and the roof.

Firefighters has to cut away parts of the annex roof to put out the fire, which was extinguished by 5.21pm.

Station commander Wayne Swales said: “The resident had put the dishwasher on and gone out into the garden to play with two children and when they returned just a few minutes later there was smoke issuing from the property.

“The resident did exactly the right thing by not re-entering the property and instead going to a neighbour to use their phone to dial 999. They did all the right things, including having working smoke alarms.

“The fire spread from the kitchen to the sky-lit annex area of the property into the roof. It also resulted in smoke logging in the next door house. There was also smoke damage to the ground floor where the fire had started.

“If the crew from St Neots hadn’t have arrived so quickly and started their firefighting efforts as swiftly and effectively as they did, then this could have spread a lot quicker and taken the whole house. Instead, crews managed to catch the fire before it spread and contain it to just one area of the house.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hunts Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hunts Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hunts Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 16:00
Roald Dahl Day at Holywell Primary School

Giants, giraffes, and an Oompa Loompa were among the colourful creations at Holywell Primary School earlier this month, as pupils gathered to celebrate Roald Dahl Day.

Yesterday, 14:00
St Neots Fire Station Open Day, Fire Fighter Jason Manfield, with Stephanie and Naomi from St Neots,

An open day at St Neots Fire Station on Saturday raised thousands of pounds for charity.

Yesterday, 13:32
Laura Street, from Hartford, has raised £9,000 for Macmillan through bric-a-brac sales

A dedicated fundraiser from Hartford has collected more than £9,000 for charity simply by running a weekly bric-a-brac stall.

Yesterday, 12:00
Sanford House, Huntingdon, Hotel Manager Nikki Cameron,

A £1.1million hotel is set to open its doors in Huntingdon early next month after undergoing a renovation.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up