“Disgusting” theft will not stop us raising money for charity, say couple

15:58 12 December 2012

Xmas Lights Cash has been stolen, in Hill Rise, St Ives, owners (l-r) June Forway and Dick Forway

Xmas Lights Cash has been stolen, in Hill Rise, St Ives, owners (l-r) June Forway and Dick Forway

Archant

A COUPLE who had a Christmas charity box stolen from outside their home have branded the theft as “disgusting”.

Dick and June Forway decorate their house with festive lights every year to raise money for charity and have vowed that the theft will not deter them from their annual tradition.

The box, outside their home in Hill Rise, St Ives, was made by the town’s Rotary Club. It was attached to a post cemented in the ground – but that did not deter the thieves, who smashed it open and stole the money intended for pancreatic cancer patients.

“The first we knew about it was when someone who found the box came round holding it and a few bits of plastic,” Mr Forway said. “My first reaction was to ask why someone would want to steal money from a cancer fund. It is absolutely disgusting.”

Luckily, the Forways empty the box every day, so did not lose all the money from their collection, which includes about £400.

Mr Forway hopes the display will raise about £1,000 in total but money will no longer be collected in the charity box – instead people can post donations through the couple’s letterbox or donate via the website www.justgiving.com/ForwayFamily

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 13:51

Anglian Water has pledged to spend more than £9million upgrading its network across Huntingdonshire in the next year.

Yesterday, 09:51
The mayor of St Ives, Cllr Ian Jackson, with Gilly Jackson, and Scouts Holly, Nathan and Areeya.

The 5th St Ives Scouts welcomed a very special guest for their very own Master Chef challenge.

Fri, 15:45
Tumble dryer causes fire in Eynesbury home

Firefighters were called a blaze in Eynesbury this morning (Friday) after a tumble dryer caught light.

Fri, 11:41
The scene of the fire, in Tilbrook.

Firefighters prevented a blaze at a straw recycling facility in Tilbrook from escalating into a major incident.

”Calendar"/

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition