Cats rescued from house fire in Hartford
PUBLISHED: 14:00 01 February 2017
Cambs Fire & Rescue Service
Firefighters rescued a pair of cats from a smoke-logged house in Hartford.
Crews from Huntingdon and Papworth were called to a house fire in Veasey Road at about 3.30pm on Sunday, and arrived to find the property filled with smoke.
Wearing breathing apparatus, the crews extinguished flames and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.
Two cats were also rescued in the fire and oxygen masks used to revive them.
Watch commander Stocker Standon said: “The cats were suffering from smoke inhalation. They were pretty lethargic but they were administered oxygen via our Smokey Paws oxygen masks and were revived before being handed back to their owner.”
The specialist oxygen masks were introduced to fire engines in Cambridgeshire in January 2016, after the service announced a partnership with national charity, Smokey Paws.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service added: “It is important to remember to switch the cooker off completely, as it is very easy to accidentally knock the hob switch and turn it on, particularly in a busy house with children or animals. Also make sure the hob area is kept completely clear of clutter and never use it as a storage area.”