Armed patrols to continue in Cambridgeshire in wake of terror attack in capital

PUBLISHED: 08:07 05 June 2017 | UPDATED: 08:28 05 June 2017

Chief Constable Alec Wood, and the police and crime commissioner, Jason Ablewhite

Chief Constable Alec Wood, and the police and crime commissioner, Jason Ablewhite

Archant

The police and crime commissioner for Cambridgeshire has said armed patrols will continue on the streets of Cambridgeshire in response to the terrorist attack in London on Saturday.

Jason Ablewhite said “all resources necessary” would be made available to police in the county to ensure a heightened presence at key tourist sites and major events was maintained.

In a statement, the commissioner said: “Cambridgeshire Constabulary works closely with regional and national agencies to ensure we are as safe as we possibly can be. Following the Manchester attack there has been an increased presence of armed policing at our key tourist sites and an increased presence at all major events across the county.

“I will be talking to the chief constable to be assured that the constabulary will continue with the additional patrolling. I will ensure that all resources necessary are made available to the constabulary at this difficult time.

“As far as I am aware, there continues to be no threat in Cambridgeshire that we are aware of, but we must all remain vigilant and ensure that if there is something that you see or hear that you are not sure about, that this is reported to the police immediately.

“We must stay calm and go about our daily lives to ensure that terrorism never wins, we are a nation with a big heart with thousands of years of history rooted firmly in our land of freedom and democracy. We stand together defiant and ever resilient as one nation.”

The statement came in the wake of Saturday’s attack in the Borough Market area of London, with seven people killed and dozens injured when three armed men wearing what are believed to have been fake suicide vests began stabbing people at random.

The three were shot dead by armed officers at the scene, and 12 people have subsequently been arrested in connection with the incident.

Alec Wood, the chief constable of Cambridgeshire Constabulary, added: “While there remains no specific threat to Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, we will continue to monitor the situation and ensure our streets are kept safe.

“We are united in grief and we will stand together to show that these barbaric acts will not weaken our communities but will strengthen them.”

More news stories

A man has died in hospital following a collision on the A14 at Leighton Bromswold last month.

12:48

Better signage is needed to stop HGVs speeding and driving through Huntingdonshire villages while work is carried out on the A14, councillors have said.

11:24

A preferred candidate for the post of Cambridgeshire’s Chief Constable has been named by police and crime commissioner Jason Ablewhite.

Hundreds of people gathered in St Ives at the weekend to enjoyed two days of fun at the annual carnival and music festival.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Hunts Post weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy